How to Read this Post
Feel free to skip around and choose the areas that you feel are the most important. Skim through the bold text for highlights.
The icons to the right here will indicate when you’ll find a crafted prayer or when it’s a great time to listen and write down or journal about what you’re doing. Feel free to skip to these if you’re familiar with the topic and want to get right to the work.
Blue boxes have additional information in them that you might find interesting. These are great if you want a more in-depth look at something.
A blue box with white text like this indicates a deeper look for those who are interested.
Hopelessness, Helplessness, and Powerlessness
I’m tackling 3 big issues in one this week, as they often come as a group when I’m working with clients. Hopelessness is a feeling of this situation or relationship will never get better. I’ll always be ____. I will never be able to ___. Etc.
Helplessness tells you that you cannot do anything about your situation. You have no ability to change anything. Powerlessness teaches you that even if you try, your efforts are insignificant and will not make any difference.
The conversation or accusations often go along the lines of: Nothing I do makes any difference. I can’t make it better. It will never change.
Experiencing trauma and injustice, especially as a child is often strongly correlated with hopelessness, helplessness, and powerlessness. Often the term victim is used, and while technically correct – trauma was experienced as a result of the actions of another and through no fault of your own – I prefer the more empowering term survivor. Trauma has left its mark on you, but you have survived, and you will be strong enough to work your way through healing.
As I’ve said before, trauma in this case doesn’t have to be severe abuse or neglect. It’s whatever your system coded as trauma and that’s continuing to influence your behavior today.
Maybe your teacher looked down on you because you weren’t a girl or boy. Maybe you were shunned because of your hair color or the color of your skin. Or maybe you were overlooked because you weren’t as ____ as someone else.
In whatever way, your experience taught you that you were powerless to effect change, you were helpless to do anything, and it was hopeless to expect anything different. There may or may not have been truth in those beliefs in that situation or event. But it’s not necessarily the case that it will be true for the rest of your life.
Father, I come before You this day because I need your help to access the freedom Jesus purchased for me on the Cross from hopelessness, helplessness, and powerlessness. I take authority over myself, my space, and my will and I submit myself to You so I can agree with You completely where ever You lead me through this process. I remove all coverings over content and cut off all enemy access, placing everything into Jesus’ hands. I ask You, Lord Jesus, to gather up and bind all warfare that would seek to hinder me from getting free from hopelessness, helplessness, and powerlessness or any other issue. Please send the angelic support I need.
I repent of all enemy rights and agreements and suspend them and all areas of access he has to me. I place them into Jesus’ hands to keep during my work. Thank You, Father, for Your provision and protection.
I ask You, Holy Spirit, for any blessings I need as I do this work. I ask for an anointing of power and authority as I address this issue. Please give me clarity of thought and intention and a breakthrough in healing. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.
As you may be aware, the sins of our ancestors can have a very negative impact on our lives. First, their sin gives the enemy access to us, and second, it becomes the pattern of how life happens within our family so we may not know there is another option for behavior, or realize how unhealthy our family patterns are. We all have generational issues and generational patterns which are less than ideal, so it isn’t just you.
Before I go any further, I want to emphasize that you are not responsible for your ancestor’s sin. You are only responsible for your own sins. What the generational piece does is to add a pressure or weight which increases the likelihood you may sin in a particular area. We have a choice wether or not we enter into the sin, but even if we don’t, the generational piece seems to make the fight against sin more difficult than it needs to be.
I discuss generational work more completely here and here, so if this is all new to you, you might want to stop and review that post. I also have a class which goes into more depth about specific types of generational issues and how to break them. You can find it here.
To clear the enemy’s access to us because of generational issues, we do what we call identificational repentance. This is where you repent on behalf of a larger groupyou‘re part of, in this case your family. Again, you are not saying you are guilty of those sins, unless you are, but you are standing in the gap for your family to remove the access the enemy has on you and your bloodline.
The following is a sample prayer to walk through step by step, but this is also the perfect time to practice listening prayer. Only the Holy Spirit knows the full effects of this generational piece on your life, so listen carefully to His voice as you walk through this process and pray additional items as He leads you. You might want to read through the prayer first and then make a note of anything the Holy Spirit wants you to add before you begin, or stop and pray each as you go.
Identificational repentance can be done on behalf of any group that you are a part of or identify with. It’s not only your family. In all cases, it’s not that you’re saying you personally have participated in whatever it is you’re repenting on behalf of, but because you are a part of the larger group, you can stand in the gap for the group at large. You can think in terms of culture, race, denomination, role in society, gender, position, occupation, etc. For example, I’ve done identificational repentance for clients on behalf of church leadership even though I wasn’t a part of the church the client was hurt by, but because I have held positions of leadership within the church. It’s a powerful tool that you can use to set others free as well as yourself.
- I confess that my ancestors committed the sin of hopelessness, helplessness, and powerlessness, allowing the enemy access to my bloodline. I repent on that person’s behalf for committing this sin and allowing the enemy access to us. And I forgive them. I also confess and repent on behalf of myself and every other member of my bloodline who has entered into the sin of hopelessness, helplessness, and powerlessness including associated sins of victimization, passivity, predatory behavior, self-pity, trapped, abuse, cruelty, injustice, and trauma.
- I choose to forgive myself and all of those in my bloodline who have committed the sin of hopelessness, helplessness, and powerlessness or who have influenced me to participate in this sin, and for the consequences of that sin in my life. (Specifically name anyone the Holy Spirit brings to your mind.)
- I ask You to forgive me, Jesus, for coming into agreement with this issue and for committing any and all of these sins. I receive Your forgiveness and I choose to forgive myself for entering into this issue and for all the effects it has had on my life.
- I revoke any and all agreements with hopelessness, helplessness, and powerlessness on my behalf, and as far as I’m able on behalf of all of those in my bloodline. I revoke any agreements made by myself or my family with the entities of hopelessness, helplessness, and powerlessness or any others affiliated with this in any way or under their authority. I revoke all of their rights to me and my entire bloodline past, present, and future from this time forward.
- I gather up all of these entities and agreements and I cast them to the cross of Jesus. I place the blood of Jesus between all of that and myself and my entire bloodline. I reverse and correct all the effects of hopelessness, helplessness, and powerlessness in my life and in the lives of my family.
- On behalf of my family, I receive the freedom Jesus Christ bought for me when He died on the cross and rose again defeating all the works of the enemy. I receive His empowerment, courage, hope, anticipation power, and strength. (This is an excellent time to pause and listen to what else God wants to give you. Write them down to meditate on later.)
One of the things generational issues does, is not only pressure you to sin, but it also blocks the rightful inheritance the Lord has for your bloodline. Not only do I want you to be free from the enemy’s torment, but I also want it to release you into ALL the Lord has for you.
You may have an idea of what your inheritance should have been, or you may not. Either way, you can ask the Lord to reveal to you what the inheritance is, and how you can access it. The book Accessing Your Spiritual Inheritance goes into this in much more depth than I can here. In short, ask God for dreams and visions, and then ask Him to go with you into those areas and follow His lead on what to do. This may be easier to do after you’ve completed all the steps in this set of blog posts. So if you’re not making progress here, then make a note to come back and return to this after we’ve finished this series.
Father, I ask You to set Your seal upon the work I have and will be doing regarding generational issues. I believe that You are faithful to continue this work and bring me to greater and greater realms of healing and wholeness. I cancel any and all curses, devices, or assignments of the enemy and break off any retaliation in the Name of Jesus. I seal all doors and windows in the spirit with Jesus’ blood and thank You and praise You for Your protection. Please minister to me as my system adjusts to this new level of healing and wholeness and comes into alignment with Your design.
Next post, I’ll go over some next steps for freedom from hopelessness, helplessness, and powerlessness by dealing with forgiveness, ungodly beliefs, and soul ties.